Here's what it looks like:
Of course with a new space, I had to give it a try. Oooooooohhhhhh....heaven! The right amount of space with everything close at hand and just a few steps from the cabinet of goodness that protects all my stash from 3 year old hands. And being that I am inflicted with "Tim Holtzitis", my first project in the new space had to be a Tim challenge.
This month is an industrial look (see Tim's tag here) and it required me to improvise a lot, which was fantastic. I have been watching videos and listening to podcasts while waiting to get back into it and the one saying that has really stuck with me was "What If I...". I heard it on the Paperclipping Roundtable podcast that Tim was recently on and it was from an amazing crafter, Laura Denison. Do yourself a favour, check her blog out. You will be blown away.
So, with "What If..." in hand, I began my tag! I didn't have foil tape or the right colour alcohol inks or steel wool or even any of the embellishments that were used on Tim's tag but I wasn't going to let that stop me! Here is what I came up with:
When it was time to embellish, I had to think hard because my Vagabond hasn't been replaced yet and I have no die cutting machine (so many dies and no way to use them!). I don't have any really industrial stamps but for some reason iron scrollwork popped into my head and I remembered some Kaisercraft stamps I had. I had actually picked out a bird but in the end, the dragonfly spoke to me more.
I stamped it using Staz-On ink onto silver foil card and embossed it with a glitter embossing powder. Then I used the ginger alcohol ink to colour it in.
I had a message in mind when I pulled out the word band and key. But where to find the words "the" and "is"? As I rummaged through my stickers, I came across the DCWV Once Upon a Time chipboard stickers and there was my "the". Still looking for the "is"... and then it hit me! I have had the grunge blocks for ages and barely used them. I could try a modified version of rusted grunge as I have no Distress Embossing powders!
So, it's not exactly what I was in my head but it is close and I like it. The blocks were inked with Black Soot Distress Ink and then I dusted silver embossing powder over the top. There's a lot more black showing that this picture suggest. The letters were inked with Vintage Photo and then embossed with clear powder. Before I heated though, I ran my fingers over the letters to remove patches of powder. Then I inked the top with Black Soot. I got a pretty decent speckled look.
Overall, I am extremely please with my improvisation! I hope you had fun looking and that you too will think with "What If I..."!